Old April 19th 05, 07:46 AM
G. Sylvester

Stefan wrote:
G. Sylvester wrote:

From my very limited experience
in Germany and from what I understand, the English used is
'by the book.' Everything is formal pre-determined phrases

Don't forget that in Germany (and most other countries) English is a
foreign language which even many pilots can barely understand and speak.
So sticking to pre-defined phrases is the only way to go.

genau. That was exactly my point. Also a lot of slang terms that
native speakers don't even realize is slang is very hard to understand.
In fact, many Europeans learn Queens English which is sometimes
more difficult to understand for an American than understanding
the 'foreign' language.

BTW, do a web search for Mark Twain's essay on the German language.
It's absolutely classic and in many regards accurate.

Gerald