Old April 3rd 18, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SLA batteries opinions?

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 4:29:49 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
You may be better off using LiFePO4 batteries.

Well I've been wondering about that each time I buy a new SLA and still find that I cannot justify the much higher cost of the LiFePO4 batteries (5x to 10x, depending on size, brand, etc). The theoretical number of times the batteries of each type can be cycled is irrelevant if they will die of old age in a number of years, even if that's 10+ years for LiFePO4 and only 3-4 years for SLA in my use.

This depends also on how much capacity you need vs. the weight and volume needed to hold the battery(ies) in the glider. In my case my modest needs, in warm weather, are usually met by one 4AH SLA, and I can also use a 12AH when I want spare capacity (or a bit of ballast :-). If I had a fancier computer, plus transponder and FLARM, then the picture might be different, since the LiFePO4 can be discharged more deeply without damage while the SLA should only be taken to about half-full (and even when I test them I stop at about 11.5V).