Old October 13th 04, 10:42 PM
Dan Luke

My plane does not have an autopilot, nor do I believe it
makes sense to add one (can't polish a turd...
PA-28-180 isn't a hard IFR machine).

Whoa! What's wrong with flying hard IFR in a PA-28-180? I fly "hard IFR"
(not sure what your definition is) in a 172RG; it does just fine. A
Cherokee 180 should do just as well - unless you're talking about doing it
in the mountains...?

If one has an autopilot, I belive that the transition to single-pilot IFR

might be a bit easier,
since you can let George fly while you collect yourself/charts/wits/etc.

No question. The first thing I had installed in my airplane when I bought
it was a 2-axis, rate-based autopilot, but not just for "training wheels"
purposes. I still use it on every approach, unless I'm practicing hand
flying.

Just during the initial learning and confidence-building stage it could
be useful as a "backup".... You'd still better be able to do it all by
hand, though. Autopilots are good if used as a tool, but I think lots
of people depend on them.

Yep.
--
Dan