Old July 11th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default 236,147 private pilots

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:28:16 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

The number of student pilots is
important. Those are folks that wanted to fly enough to at least start the
process. I'd really like to see the percentage of that 84,866 end up with a
certificate. The AOPA should start a program to contact those that don't an
find out why they didn't finish.

That's an excellent idea. You should send it to AOPA.

The other two numbers I find interesting are the rec and sports pilots. The
recreational pilot program has been around for years but in just a few the
sport pilot program has more than tripled it's numbers.

One is about saving money; that's not very realistic, IMO.

The other is about saving money AND dodging the recurring medical
examination. That's significant to ageing baby boomers, I would
think.