Old June 13th 04, 12:42 PM
tony

If the leader were missing, would anyone know it was a Missing Man, as
opposed to two planes flying alongside a third plane at some distance?

Symbols are like that.

The two element formation approaches, all four aircraft in view, and one exits.
If you know about "Missing Man Formations" you'd probably understand. If one
doesn't, perhaps it would have to be explained.

With respect to the questions about safety without the lead element leader, I
suspect nearly any three of us could fly a the first element wingman slot
safely keying on the leader of the second element.

I can accept traditon as the reason to fly it as it had been flown, but in that
it's symbolic I rather liked the idea of the lead aircraft going absent.

Others didn't.

It lead to an interesting thread, though, esp the poster who wrote of the
Reagan's sense it was a requirement of the office that such a funeral be held.
Back during his term, it had been written he always went to his office with
coat and tie, as a mark of reverence for the place.

Another thought -- even better. Didn't President Reagan fund the B1B?

Now, that would be a fly-by!

About my comment for the mid air refueling flyby for former President Clinton
-- I'm thinking now three supersonic bombers, at perhaps mach 2, would also be
fitting.

Where are my flame proof pants?