Old February 7th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Cirrus collides with Glider/Towplane

On 2/6/2010 9:33 PM, XXL wrote:
FLARM in all three aircraft could have helped prevent the accident.
Not sure if everyone knows about flarm, but it's in use in many
European countries and I have been saved by it many times. However,
any collision-avoidance instruments are no excuse for the rule of "See
and Avoid"!!!

My condolences to all involved.

Roderick

FLARM is of no use in the US. What we desperately need are low cost
ADS-B transceivers in the same price range as the European FLARM units.
The units that MITRE has flying fit this bill. The only obstacle is
the lack of FAA certification standards for this kind of low cost device
which prevents its commercialization.

--
Mike Schumann