Old November 26th 03, 02:07 AM

I presume you mean non-radar full position reports. That is where having the
route as a flight plan would be quite useful.

Windecks wrote:

On an IFR proficiency flight with my partner the other day, we got into a
little debate about the best way to use the Garmin 430 for ATC position
reporting. He uses the cursor on the map page to point at an airport or
NAVAID, then reads out the distance and (reciprocal) bearing. I go to NRST,
and pick an airport or VOR which have continually updated distance and
bearing. For those 430/530 users out there, which way do you prefer?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 'Position' button; an easy to reach menu
choice, softkey or button that gives the following configurable readout
(don't display what you don't want):

- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest airport
(22nm NW Reid Hillview KRHV)
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest VOR
(10nm SW Mustang FMG or maybe 215 Radial?)
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest NDB
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest intersection
- Distance and reciprocal bearing to the nearest VFR reporting point
- If within 2nm of any of the above, a message that says "Vicinity Squaw
Valley SWR" e.g.

Punch the button, wait for the frequency to clear, then just read off the
position to our friends with the big screens. Punch the button again and
you go back to the previous display. NRST works just fine for me, but it's
always fun to bitch about your expensive, useful panel toys..