Old March 25th 05, 12:54 AM
Vaughn

"Dude" wrote in message

Most things that people pay interest on, they shouldn't. That's because they
would often save money and make a wiser choice by buying cash. If you can't
afford the luxury of a new car, then buying a used one is likely a better
choice.

I did that most of my life, and that is why I can now afford the luxury of
a new one every now and then. l compromize by using a healthy down payment and
maximum 36-month financing.

They are pretty much disposable items in the end. As far as furniture and
other items go, you are likely upside down in them as soon as you start making
payments - and the rates are usually stupid.

I agree.

Houses are different, the cost of buying and selling is just too much. Buying
a house with over 20% down that you can afford to pay for is usually a wise
decision so long as you buy right, and expect to live there for 5 plus years.
Often, renting and saving will not get you there, and in the meantime, the
house you wanted has likely appreciated.

Bingo! In my county, the average home went up 36% last year. In that type
of market ther is no way to "save" yourself into a house. You just have to
somehow get up a down payment and then jump on that elevator.

Now, for airplanes. You can buy an older plane and usually get back most of
the money you spend to buy it. What you are out is anything you put into it
to to bring it up to standard, fuel, maintenance, engine time, insurance, and
INTEREST. Yes, you can avoid INTEREST. But, planes are like houses more than
like cars or other items.

Save money; rent.

Vaughn