Old July 22nd 03, 01:37 PM
Dan Luke

"John Harper" wrote:
In two words, don't bother.

Flew today Anacortes (north of Seattle) back home to Palo Alto,
IFR at FL190. The flight plan was pretty complicated, over a dozen
waypoints all carefully entered into my shiny new 530 during climb out.

Are you talking about a flight plan or a clearance? Wouldn't you enter a
flight plan on the ground?

And guess what... I got to fly to exactly one of them. Initially I was
vectored, then given direct to one of them, then I asked direct for
the last one in Seattle's airspace, and they gave me direct Palo Alto.
Very nice of them, and I did appreciate it. But it made all that
twiddling pretty pointless.

I agree about entering a compex flight plan that you've never flown before -
most likely your clearance and route will be different. When I'm given a
multipoint clearance from ATC though, I always load it in the GPS. In the
(unlikely, I admit) event that I lose com in IMC and have to fly my original
clearance, it's right there for me.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM