Old May 10th 05, 07:52 AM
Keith W

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
.net...
"GRAHAM WALKER" wrote in message
British Scientific Developments - A British scientific mission carries to
the United States details of many important developments. Amongst these
is
the recently invented cavity magnetron, vital for short wavelength radar

and
the eventual defeat of conventional U-boats. Also for the close-proximity
fuse which becomes so important in the 1945 battles with Japanese
Kamikaze
aircraft

I seem to recall hearing that an RAF officer developed a laboratory
prototype jet engine in the 1937-38 timeframe. I wonder why that
information was not mentioned in the British scientific mission to the
United States. The U.S. had more engineering and manfacturing resources
free at that time than did Britain.

It was

I know that the U.S. developed its own
jet engine that reached the flight test stage towards the end of WW2, but
it
seems like if this prototype jet engine had been made available to U.S.
engineers and manufacturers, it could have allowed the U.S. to develop a
working jet engine much faster and maybe even introduce it into
operational
service before the end of WW2.

Like the GE I-A engine , based on Whittle's designs that first ran on April
18, 1942
perhaps.

Keith