Old July 14th 20, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default eccentric wing pin tool

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 7:52:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
the "bedding in" process recommended by
(some? many? all?) manufacturers of semi-automatic shotguns, who suggest the
first 20 rounds or so should be magnum loads...by way of exercising the
precision sliding bits under maximum-routine, high-stress, conditions in
expectation of achieving the longest/smoothest operating lifetime.

Using that theory, a new automobile should be "broken in properly" by winding it up to max RPM and driven as fast as possible directly off the showroom floor until it loosens up. Or breaks.

However, I regularly test electronic components this way. If they are going to fail, they are likeliest to do so early in their life. If they succeed in passing a large number of cycles, they will probably last quite a while. We had a batch of relays that failed after a short stress test, but the next batch (probably from another production run) is still going strong a year later.

I take the "Captain Ron" approach. "If it going to break, it is going to break out there."