Old December 13th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Always something to be learned

A very interesting article.

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA...dustryid=43657

How could this error be trapped?

All you "owner produced parts" guys take note.

I wonder if this instance is what shut down the carb guys.

I'm a little fuzzy on what this has to do with owner produced parts. The
article did not make specific mention of the traceability of the parts
kit or the rebuilder's credentials. Absent that, we might assume that,
either this was an FAA sanctioned outfit using parts from another FAA
blessed supplier. Or, that the parts were non-approved knock offs and/or
the shop was also operating without the proper paperwork.

How could this error be trapped? Not sure because we don't have enough
information to determine who is at fault. If the parts and overhauler
WERE approved, then the FAA takes the hit for not providing the
oversight they are hired to provide. If the parts and/or overhauler were
bogus, there may be nothing that can be done other than jailing the
culprits (NOT the pilot). Short of bankrupting every airplane owner and
parts manufacturer with endless testing (that governments LOVE to do),
I'm not sure you will ever prevent EVERY mistake.

It proves to me that no system is perfect.

Be careful out there,
Mike