Old January 15th 05, 09:47 PM
JD

There was this one ogre mutha with a t-h-i-c-k southern country drawl. We
got cold water thrown on us for laughing when those "yall dum merican peegs"
would ring out. As I recall, there was one LCDR, two jg's, maybe 18 shiney
new squadron nuggets and two junior enlisted. I bet the average age was
23....... Middle of February, rain and slop. We come off that mountain
after freezing our asses off overnight in an igloo, summer flight suits, and
a parachute. Then they dropped us off in some place to survive (don't
remember how long.... day or two I guess) and eventually we'd come out on
Freedom Road with barber striping on the poles. Then we were captured and
the "training commenced". Intelligence prevents total immersion, but they
do have a way of getting what we needed to know across.

Does anyone know if they still do survival for the aircrews? I would
expect it's primarily desert oriented, but if I recall, there was a tropical
survival school in the islands...... Not sure about that.

Best
JD

"JD" wrote in message
When I was in the P3 community (VP31), I was sent to NUW for Survival
School. I forget how long it lasted, but I recall the "ogre muthas"
giving us a time or two. It was cold and wet (February) and I recall
they bused us out to some mountain for snow survival. I have no idea
where the Happy Valley compound was, but I do recall being quite
uncomfortable for some time in a little box they put me in. All in all,
quite an experience.
Hell of it is all I got was this lousy little rubber stamp "FATUPAC DET
2 successfully completed" in my personnel jacket.

Is this kind of stuff still done?

JD
USN sailor '63 - 67
USA doctor '75 - 77