Old May 21st 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military
Paul J. Adam

Default Nickname for Apache helicopter

In message . com,
writes
On May 20, 11:53 pm, "Leadfoot" wrote:
wrote in message
I have no idea whether this was true, but he said his squadron was
pretty sure the Apaches weren't "small arms proof up to 20mm" as
advertised.

The only thing "small arms proof up to 20mm" is the cockpit. It's similar
in concept to the titanium bathtub found in the A-10. Although there is a
lot more plexiglass

I seem to remember reading that the rotors were supposedly 20mm
proof.....

The usual claim I've seen is that the Apache is designed to survive a
couple of hits from up to 23mm HEI (I assume with ZSU-23-4s in mind) -
that's not "23mm proof", but rather "won't crash immediately and can
limp back to base for repairs". Stuff like the gearbox able to run dry
for thirty minutes before eating itself, that kind of thing.

I'm sure there are still spots where one golden bullet can bring it
down, but it's a tough bird as helicopters go.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

Paul J. Adam - mainbox{at}jrwlynch[dot]demon(dot)codotuk