Old August 2nd 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default The rudder waggle signal does not work

On Jul 28, 6:33*pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

One of our instructors once told me to notice the tow plane's ailerons:
If they're using full deflection its a wing rock, so release, but if
they're not it may just be turbulence.

That may work in UK but it would be bad advice in Arizona where it's
not uncommon to need full aileron deflection to keep the tug right
side up. If looking at the ailerons maybe be better to check if the
aileron is in the sense to cause the roll or to counter it. I doubt
many glider pilots are going to process that information though.

Andy