Old July 17th 03, 01:36 PM
Dylan Smith

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:40:50 -0500, Brian Sponcil wrote:
If you haven't done it, I'd put it on your list of things to try, if for
no other reason than to experience how quiet flying can actually be.

I had my first winch-launch solo last Saturday (I already have a glider
rating, but aero tow only until I joined the Andreas Glider Club).

I stayed up for half an hour from a launch which only got me to 1200 feet.
The winch gives you only about 2 minutes to find something that's working.
I only had to come down as the glider was needed for the next person.

I still felt satisfied from that flight the next day. In fact, I still
have a feeling of satisfaction about it now! There's not much that beats
soaring for pure joy of flying.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net