Old June 2nd 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Default Power LEDs

It's really pretty easy. One version of the device has the LED bonded to a
PC board and through the PC board to an aluminum puck about a quarter inch
in diameter which (and this is the trick) is electrically INSULATED from the
diode. Since you generally are going to mount this sucker on the last rib,
or another hunk of aluminum out in the wingtip, all you do is bolt the
diode/pc board/puck assembly to the aluminum with a very thin layer of
thermal grease between the puck and the aluminum. I used a representative
scrap of aluminum about 30 square inches and the diode rise over ambient was
about 20°C. The allowable rise is well over 90C, so I think I just about
sunk it well enough. This was for two 5-watt diodes on the same sink.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Morgans" wrote in message

Wow, they have some monster LED's!

I didn't see how they deal with getting rid of the heat produced, by say,
a 15 watt emitter. It would be a pretty large issue, I'm sure.
--
Jim in NC