Old July 24th 03, 08:16 PM
Dennis O'Connor

"Jay Masino" wrote in
In fact, it would seem that mid-size municipally owned airports almost
never operate without subsidies and grants.

Nor do the streets, nor do the ditches, nor does the municipal boat launch,
nor does the park, nor does the mosquito commission, nor do the traffic
lights, nor does the water department... In fact there is not a single
governmental service that does not require the tax payers to support it, and
usually the commissioners are beating the drum for more money to put into
these services... Only when it involves the public airport does it suddenly
become an unnecessary service...

I have publically confronted some of our county commissioners (politely) who
object to the airport and as soon as I point out the illogic in their
position I get:
"Well, ummm errr, you don't understand. The parks are a line item in the
budget and the airport is an additional expense that we have to take money
from some other service to cover."
"So, make the airport a line item in the budget!"
"Oh, we couldn't do that."