Old August 5th 03, 11:35 PM
Larry

How is aircraft maintenance organized? Is you average mechanic assigned
to a plane or to
a subsystem? In other words, is the mechanic assigned to Airplane #1234,

or to "left
wing hydraulics"?

All right, I'll bite. I think the Cdr came the closest. The rest of you all
"tap danced" around the original question.

In other words, is the mechanic assigned to Airplane #1234, or to "left
wing hydraulics"?

Yes, the basic idea is that each aircraft is divided into "subsystems" or
areas of responsibility. Using your example: each mechanic (assigned to the
mech shop) would perform preventive and corrective maintenance on those
areas of the aircraft that relate to the engine and fuel systems as directed
by the shop supervisor. Other workcenters take care of other systems in the
aircraft.

This is the basic idea. More details are in the 4790 (a book about 3 inches
thick).

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
How is aircraft maintenance organized? Is you average mechanic assigned

to a plane or to
a subsystem? In other words, is the mechanic assigned to Airplane #1234,

or to "left
wing hydraulics"?

-Thanks