Old February 21st 04, 02:36 AM
BTIZ

rope "gives" when jerked... chains don't give..

a little slack in chains can cause the wing to jerk when the chain looses
the slack which can damage where the tie down attaches to the wing

ropes give a little, like a bungee hitting the limit..

depending on how the tie down is attached to the wing.. don't trust Cessna
slots that slip into the strut and hide when flying..

BT

"Roger Bartholomee" wrote in message
I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4

from
January and under Training Tips and they reference "The Tiedowns that

Bind"
from the October 2000 AOPA Flight Training.

See: http://www.aopa.org/members/ftmag/ar...m?article=3811

The author says "It's important to leave a little slack in each line,
especially if you are expecting gusty wind conditions. Slack will allow

the
airplane to move a little. Without any slack, a strong gust could damage

the
airframe." I have always kept mine tight so the plane can't move around.
My feeling is the slack will allow the plane to move and then jerk to a
stop. Does anyone know the proper method and the reason?

Roger @ MD43 C150E