Old November 30th 03, 12:49 AM
Waduino

For the benefit of a newbie (me), could someone provide the short, i.e. not
the long, technical, legal, or whatever definition of the following:
1. Club Class
2. Sport Class
3. 15m Class - OK, I can guess wing span limited to 15m
4. 18m Class - another guess, wing span limited to 18m.
Thanks.
Wad.

----

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
Stewart Kissel wrote:

I've wondered about this also. We have, in effect, one-design contests
in the STD, 15 M, and 18 M classes, because there is little difference
between the top gliders from each manufacturer. It's not a low cost,
one-design, situation, of course, but because the gliders offer what
most pilots want in a glider, they sell well to pilots that aren't
serious competitors.

We have low(er) cost racing via the Sport Class (USA) and the Club Class
(elsewhere). The Sports Class isn't one-design by any measure, but it's
popular anyway. The Club Class isn't one-design, either, but it's method
for selecting gliders for the class comes close in matching
performances, and when the handicap is used, it's just as effective as a
one-design class at equalizing performance.