Old May 26th 05, 08:23 PM

JJ,

Good winglets fix the climb "problem" (which wasn't much of a
problem--I flew mine sans winglets the first year and loved it). Hank
Nixon and I have a friendly ongoing debate over whether the modified
leading edge (the famous "B" mod) does anything beneficial. He did the
mod; I didn't. I think he's just keen to see me take a file to my
leading edge.

With Hank's latest winglets, my ship climbs with anything. I'd thought
until last year that I had to fly it a little faster; e.g., low 50s
(kts.) in moderate banks. But I discovered at New Castle that in
survival conditions, I could fly it just like a 1-26 and it climbs
great: i.e., slow it down until it's on the edge of buffet.

There may or may not be some benefit to the blunter "B" leading edge in
gusty thermals but I haven't noticed. I do agree with those who believe
that the debate over the airfoil, micro-turbulence, etc., was primarly
a very effective (obviously!) marketing campaign on the factory's part.
After all, how do you sell a brand new glider that doesn't seem to go
any better than the old model unless you can point to something that's
been "fixed"?

Chip Bearden
"JB" ASW-24 owner since 1992

John Sinclair wrote:
As I recall, the ASW-24 had a climb problem until it
was discovered the ship must be flown a bit faster
while thermaling. Is this true and at what speed do
you thermal the ship?
JJ