Old March 18th 04, 03:01 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

I'm not a controller and haven't visited an ATC facility in probably 20
years. I didn't assume that manual flight strips were still in use, but
knowing the gummint I should have figured that would still be the case.

No, see above. I assumed that technology had progressed at least a tiny

bit since I visited a tower in the late 70s. Obviously, a poor assumption.

Yeah, paper strips have been with us a long time, but that doesn't mean
they're obsolete. If all the flight data is on a screen and the computer
goes down I lose all the flight data. If the flight data is printed on
paper strips and the computer goes down I still have the flight data on
paper strips.