Old January 31st 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Removing original equipment

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is there any reason I can't remove my factory OAT and throw it out?

Possibly. You didn't say whether your aircraft was experimental or
factory-built, but for the sake of argument, I'll say that it is factory
built.

Factory built aircraft have an "equipment list" document shipped with the
aircraft showing required and optional equipment installed at the factory.
THey also conform to a type certificate. If either of these documents shows
the OAT gauge as required equipment, then the replacement has to have a
Supplemental Type Certificate if it is going to replace required equipment.

Having said that, I don't know of any aircraft that requires an OAT gauge on
the required equipment list, but then again, I haven't researched the matter
at length.

Jim