Old July 16th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:36:52 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:03:30 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in
::

I doubt that creation of a new newsgroup will
protect r.a.p. from off-topic material. People like to talk with
their friends about all kinds of things, even if the topics don't fit into
the charter of a newsgroup.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you're saying, that because some members
of a newsgroup's readership disrespect the newsgroup's charter, and
post off-topic articles, there is no reason to make an attempt to
mitigate the issue?

If the problem with your engine is a bad magneto, doing
an oil change won't fix the problem.

In my view, the problem with off-topic posting is caused
by human nature, such as it is.

Creating a new newsgroup won't change human nature.
Some people go off-topic because they feel comfortable
with their friends; others want to have an audience for their
performance art. I don't think either personality type can
be siphoned off into a new newsgroup.

YMMV.

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB), such as it is.
The B8MB is a work in progress.