Old September 29th 05, 05:20 PM
Doug

I see a change here. The procedure turn is NOW required IF a course
reversal is necessary. If you are straight in, or nearly so, but NOT on
radar vectors there is no longer any regulatory requirement to do a
procedure turn. I have never seen sense operationally to do one if I am
straight in and at the right altitude. Actually to clear this up, I
think they need to clarify how many degrees off constitutes a "course
reversal". I for one disagreed with having to do a proc turn when I am
straight in, on altitude and ready to continue, and under those
circumstances never would do one anyway, based on the safety of the
flight. If you aren't under radar vectors it's pretty much always one
in or one out at the airport at time, so it's not a matter of timing
seperation, ATC gives you the full area of the approach PT or no, so
that has never been an issue.