Old May 26th 21, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tow plane ideas

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 2:37:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
My glider club is looking into the possibility of a new or upgraded tow plane. We currently have a 160hp supercub, but we have also looked into a rare-as-hens-teeth piper pawnee. As i poke around barnstormers and trade a plane, i have seen ads for a 190hp vans RV-6, a maule 235, a stinson 200+ hp, motorgliders, cessna 188, etc.

Anyone out there have some ideas for a tow plane that might be very functional but also (perhaps) not well known? Ive seen stories on stinson's maule's and wilga's being used in the past, for example, but it would be good to hear of some currently used "unusual" towplanes.

thanks for any feedback!

Before you get rid of that 160 Super Cub, have you tried a bigger “bush” prop
on the Super Cub? We used a 82” Bohrer prop with very good results. It performed
like it had 180 Hp, but without the 6 cylinder maintenance. For the required prop
to ground clearance, mid sized balloon tires are required though.

Our club operates a 235 Hp Pawnee as well, and when our membership shrank to where we couldn’t justify having two tow planes anymore, we sold the Cub to an Alaskan bush pilot.

It just so happens though, that we have unearthed a “new in box” 82/41 McCauley
(their version of the Bohrer) prop in the rafters of our hangar this past week. I believe the club will be looking to sell it sometime soon. People are trying to see if they can find the paperwork to accompany the prop right now.

If new tires and a new prop can get you what you need without having to find a PA-25,
you may be better off financially to try it. If you don’t like it, some guy from Alaska will probably fly down to take the upgraded Cub off your hands.

Mike Opitz
RO
www.NutmegSoaring.org (Freehold, NY)