Old July 25th 03, 01:06 AM
Bill Daniels

"Jim Phoenix" wrote in message
om...
(Bob Kuykendall) wrote in message
snip
My HP-24 project is slated to have a standard 15 meter span, with
extensions to 18 meter, including aileron extensions. The gross
weights will be different, but the speeds will be pretty much the
same.

Bob K.

As Bob knows, my Nimbus 3 has 22.9m, 24.5m and 25.5m tips for the
various wing span I wish to fly with. Choice is driven by weather
(lift) conditions and desired wing loading for the day. I also have
positive and negative flaps - as do all or most flapped sailplanes. We
also put hundreds of pounds of water in our wings on good days, but
that would not be recommended for powered aircraft ;-).

Are there any powered aircraft out there with negative flap positions
for faster cruising/lower drag?

There was a sailplane built some years ago with a telescoping wing - I
recall it worked OK, but was not successfull.

Jim

One of the Maule variants used 10 degree negative flap for a little extra
cruise speed.

I seem to recall that flapped wings should have an airfoil selected for
negative flap for that option to be really useful. Still, it's a cheap way
to get a little more cruise speed.

Wing extensions could be a seasonal change to cope with the much higher
density altitudes in summer.

Bill Daniels