Old October 14th 17, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:22:24 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
All military aircraft have transponders and we do show up on on civilian equipment.

WX here... Walt Rogers.

In October 2015 I filed a NASA Safety Report for a near miss with a fighter roaring it's way out of restricted airspace near China Lake NAS intersecting my path 200 feet above. I literally mean... ROARING... because that's how I became aware of it. After passing by I checked my PowerFlarm and found no transponder target. It may have been a Euro fighter that clearly was in non restricted airspace (MOA) and not marked by transponder.

I agree with JS... and have come to my own conclusion that not all these fighters are squawking with a transponder.

The encounter motivated me to install a transponder (Trig T22) over the winter.

Sure hope that DOD budget can afford ADS-B out 1090ES for all their equipment.