Old October 4th 03, 05:40 AM
Jon Carlson

Not true. I just got my brand new Bose X headset on Wednesday, and
flew 3+ hours on Thursday. In the cockpit I had my existing pair of
Lightspeed 25XLs, which I have used for years. I was curious to do a
"real" side by side comparison, as you put it.

After wearing both for a while, I would say they are "different", and
I like some aspects of each. The Bose has good noise reduction, but
the sound that remains is in the low frequency range. The Lightspeeds,
when I would remove the Bose and put them on, seem a little louder but
the sound quality is different and I preferred it. I found it less
tiring than the sound quality that the Bose "lets through", even
though the Bose seems quantitatively quieter.

In addition, the physical features are different. The Bose is nice and
light, and I really like the mic boom - the Lightspeed has a short mic
boom that's always kind of bugged me. The Bose has less rotational
inertia as you turn your head back and forth just because the
Lightspeeds have those huge clunky earcups. But the Lightspeeds have
"cushier" ear cups and less clamping force. And they sit better on the
top of my head. I get a sore spot on the top of my head from the Bose
after a couple hours. Remember this is with a brand new set that I
just got yesterday, so yes, they have the new style head band
cushions....

After my 3 hours flying, I had a slight fatigue headache/tension,
which I attribute to the difference in the Bose headset - I can and
have flown for 6 hour legs with the Lightspeeds and never felt that
way.

Net result is I'm not at all sold on the Bose. I would like to be,
because my plane has builtin Bose connectors so I wouldn't have to
deal with batteries, and I like the size of the Bose, etc. I'm still
going to keep at least one set of the Bose because my wife doesn't
like Lightspeeds. I'd kind of like to get two. But if I don't like it,
I'm not going to, and I'm definitely not sold yet.

The bottom line is that headsets are like shoes - they all fit a
little different, and just because one fits you doesn't mean it's
going to fit me. This is why it's worth trying them even if your buddy
really likes brand XYZ. Just because he likes them doesn't mean you
will.

-Jon C.

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message

.... Anyway, if
anyone tells you that the Lightspeeds as good as Bose, they haven't
done a REAL side by side comparison.