Old October 2nd 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)

Default How to Remove Piston from Cylinder

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately it looks like the head doesn't unscrew like a Lycoming or
Continental would. This is from a Franklin engine, so we believe it's a
single piece casting. I guess a cylinder shop could heat barrel to get
the steel sleeve out. Hopefully that will provide enough clearance to
get it out.

If not, I guess it gets turned into a tacky lamp. I could put it next to
the other lamp I won as a "Major Award".

Paul

Bill Daniels wrote:
"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
A member of our EAA chapter has a cylinder from a Franklin 150 engine
(off the engine.) The piston was pushed too far up and the top ring
sprung out so it now overlaps the cylinder sleeve which locks the piston
in place...

The last time I heard of that happening, the guy sawed the cylinder
head off the top of the cylinder with a bandsaw. In the process, he
zinged the piston pretty bad, pretty much ruining everything there.

My advice would be to see if there's a cylinder overhaul shop with the
capacity of unscrewing the head from the barrel. If so, send it to
them and see if they can rescue it. If not, make a lamp or bookend out
of it.

Thanks, Bob K.

That'd be my advice as well. I've watched as one of these shops mounted a
cylinder in their jig and very precisely and evenly heated the head until it
unscrewed. I was told they keep the aluminum head and replace the steel
barrel. I'd bet your friend won't be the first to show up with this
problem.