Old July 21st 03, 06:31 PM
gpa

Dan:

I see you fly out of BFM. Do you know Bobby Mooring the mixmaster mosquito
abatement man & resident flying instructor at BFM? I was wonder how he is
doing these days. I think he calls himself Azalea Air...

When you get a chance you might want to fly up to Monroeville for your $100
hamburger and and ask if Harper Lee (Author of To Kill a Mockingbird) is
still signing copies of her book. One of her relatives runs the FBO there
and in the past was able to get pilots who dropped in signed copies of her
books...Never know, it might be worth something someday...I got me one last
time I was up there.

Greg Arnold

--
I've learned that it is what I do not know that I fear, and I strive,
outwardly from pride, inwardly from the knowledge that the unknown is

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
Another one of those things I guess I should have been ready for sneaked

up
on me this morning.

We were going from BFM to EET (Shelby County Airport, Alabaster, Alabama)
and the ceiling was right at minimums for the RNAV 33 approach, and below
minimums for the VOR-A. Naturally, I wanted the RNAV 33.

There's no ATIS at EET, so no particular approach was being advertised.

When
Montgomery approach handed us off to Birmingham, BHM approach told me to
expect the VOR-A. I asked him "...any chance we can do the RNAV 33?"

"Nope. It's not in my airspace. You should have asked Montgomery for that
one. Standy by and I'll see if they'll take you back."

We got handed back to MGM, but by the time MGM was ready for us, we were
right on top of the IAF (IXUSE) and 1,900' high. Not a serious problem,
really, because by then I had slowed to 90 kts, but it made the first part
of the approach more rushed than it needed to be. Nevertheless, we made it
in just under the cloud deck

The interesting thing is BHM's comment that I "...should have asked
Montgomery for that one." How was I to know that? BHM is named on plates

as
the approach facility for EET. There's no ATIS at EET. What should I have
done to find out that BHM couldn't give me the RNAV 33 approach?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM