Old June 4th 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default would an AOA indicator be helpful in a glider?

On Jun 4, 7:48*am, bildan wrote:
On Jun 3, 4:02*pm, bildan wrote:

On Jun 3, 1:34*pm, mooseknuckel1 wrote:

I am not a glider pilot, although I have been up with friends a few
times in the past, but I know the basic instrumentation is pretty
limited- and for good reason. However, would an AOA indicator increase
the efficency of gliding enough at best L/D, min sink and other
specific angles of attack enough to justify installing one? KIAS is
only an approximation of a desired angle of attack for a given weight,
so would a precise AOA indication be beneficial for glider pilots? In
most jets, speed tapes, stall protection systems and pitch limit
indicators are all based on AOA, and fight without them would be much
less efficent and safe. If there were a device to accurately display
the wings current AOA in flight and only cost around $100 would anyone
be interested in installing such a device. Thanks for any input or
opinions

Yes to all that. *Here's another option developed for military UAV's
said to be quite accurate. *http://www.cgmasi.com/aviation/index.html

This probe is just three brass tubes soldered together. *The center
one is squared off and is the pitot tube. *The top and bottom tubes
are cut at a 45 degree angle and connected to a differential pressure
transducer in an signal conditioning electronics package.

I think one of these could easily be fitted to the nose of a glider.

Adding a thought. *I think the nose cone of most gliders would serve
as the probe. *Just add a pair of air pressure ports top and bottom a
few inches aft of the nose and feed that pressure differential to the
signal conditioning electronics box.- Hide quoted text -

You might find the DYNON AOA probe interesting:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/D180_Feature_AOA.html