Old January 30th 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

Default video - pilot runs out of fuel, pops parachute

On 30/01/2015 10:44 p.m., Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 06:03:03 GMT, Skywise wrote:

george152 wrote in
news
Bloody hell.

You can say that again. Yeah... got a redundancy theme going
on here.

I followed the link to the archived page and read the rest.
The story indicated that the G1000 was freaking out due to the
fuel level going too high?!?! That's a SERIOUS programming
error. Geez. How'd it ever get flight certified?

I'm only a hobbyist self taught programmer (since 1983), and I
like reading about how the most innocuous programming mistakes
can lead to utter catastrophe. I learn from it, and it reminds
me to be very very thorough when I write my software.

Anyway, I hope Garmin fixed that one.

Brian

If you're a programmer, you know that nearly 50% of the code in any project is
related to error handling routines.

I'm always uncomfortable with an all glass cockpit. They are terrific when
there is power for them, but the prospect of marginal instrumentation in the
event of a power outage haunts...

Steve Rhine's, the ferry pilot in the archived story, inaugural post to this
newsgroup related a story about him and his flight instructor rolling a
non-aerobatic C-150. I had reservations about his changing carriers from
programmer to ferry pilot, but apparently he has been very successful. He now
heads his own firm International Ferry Flights:
http://www.internationalferryflights.com/. I'll bet he has a few more good
stories to tell about overseas ferrying...

Rolling a non aerobatic C150 is no biggie but it could point to the old
pilot and the bold pilot.
And I never flew an aircraft with a 'glass' cockpit, saw some, made
enthusiastic noises and that was about it