Old April 10th 04, 12:16 AM
Bob Gardner

No way of knowing. If there had been an accident, a contributing factor
would be "improper IFR" with no details.

Bob Gardner

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...
"Bob Gardner" wrote in

I have heard rumors for years that the feds were going to eliminate
MSAs because pilots persist in trying to make them part of IFR
procedures. Hasn't happened yet, and the misunderstanding is still
around.

Bob Gardner

I like the MSA because it gives me an idea of what the terrain is like.
We had this discussion before, but no one has given a good reason what
exactly is wrong with the MSA. It gives you 1000' obstacle clearance,
which is exactly what you need for IFR (except in mountainous areas).
Someone pointed out that MSA is not an IFR procedure because the AIM says
it is for emergency use only. Someone else said it was because MSA is not
measured to the same precision as other altitudes. Fine, but if the FAA
is going as far as eliminating it, there must be something more to this
than that. Has there ever been an accident or violation as a result of a
pilot using the MSA?