Old February 9th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jepps airport and VOR names ... how used?

In article q0XFf.79086$QW2.34288@dukeread08,
says...

I remember filing my Jeppesen revisions many years ago, over
a period of about 8 weeks, the City of St. Louis renamed the
Lambert Airport every week, I guess it was to celebrate
something. First it was Lambert Field, Then it was St.
Louis Lambert Airport, then it was St. Louis Lambert
International Airport, then they began again. This required
that every approach chart and procedure be re-issued. It was
a pain in the neck because some local politician was
exercising their right to name the airport.

That's funny - but at least being St Louis, you didn't have to wonder
what city name to use. Lots of airports are located next to small towns
that an "outsider" pilot doesn't know or care about. Someone flying in
from a thousand miles away might think of HPN as a New York airport. They
probably know it's called Westchester County, but they may never have
heard of White Plains. And that's an example from a well-known airport.
Who knows off the top of their head the town associated with Harriman and
West?

GF