Old April 10th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default Who pays follow-up

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:51:32 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

"Montblack" writes:

This sounds like a case for "House" ...or in your case, "Hangar". :-)

If it's easy to get at, and all other things being equal, can you swap
alternators with a known good one (meaning pulley)?

I've wondered about the whole idea of belt drive; given that you must pull
the prop to change same.

I've pondered a smooth pulley in place of the existing one, then a
rubber drive wheel on the alternator/vacuum pump etc.... I suppose
icing may be an issue, as well as having to locate the accessories
directly adjacent to the engine axis.

The other way would be driving the belt with the back of engine
pulley, but that has other issues...

BTW, Real Soon Now, Detroit is promising everything will be
electric-driven; water pump, power steering, air conditioning, you
name it. They'll build a starter/ alternator into the flywheel/bell
housing area. The engine won't idle; it will stop at red lights
and restart when you hit the gas...

Mine works that way now and it'son purpose.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com