Old May 31st 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Default tube and fabric and outdoor storage

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

Jerry Springer wrote:

I'd be careful with these "Dri-Z-Air" things around a plane.

I had one in my shop, sitting on top of my table saw. It was have full
when I bumped it, spilling maybe a quarter cup. I was in a rush so I
didn't clean it up right away. The NEXT day I had a really nasty patch
of corrosion on the saw where the spill was.

Now obviously a cast iron table saw has different metallurgy than a tube
& fabric plane. But my point is that the liquid these things generate
is not just simple water. Whatever it is, its pretty reactive and not
something I would want around metal that my life depends on.

Calcium Chloride

It may make an impressive looking bucket of liquid, but unless you have
it in a tightly sealed space, it won't do much to reduce the humidity.

Better that liquid in that bucket than inside my airplane. And it works
great IF YOU keep it changed regularly.