Old February 7th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default contest number question

On Friday, February 2, 2018 at 7:53:56 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
6.2.2 The Contest ID shall be displayed in a contrasting color on both sides of the vertical tail (minimum height 12 inches) and
under the right wing (bottom of ID toward the trailing edge of the wing; minimum height is the smaller of 24 inches or 90% of the
wing chord excluding a control surface).

For the newbies - we don't put dark (contrasting) colors on the top of wings due to the potential overheating of that area of fiberglass. That's a manufacturer restriction/guidance. This is why you only see "anti-collision" markings on tips and rudders. When we have enough pilots flying inverted for long periods, then we can talk about eliminating under-wing markings.... For the folks who use soft grey numbers - silly. Useless.

For temporary numbers at a comp, use dark blue or black electrical tape. Easy on, easy off. Seems a just punishment for the silly ones who wanted to go 'stealth'. They'll be all noodled up over the loss of performance....

Cindy B