Old November 17th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Paddlewheels versus Propellers

On Nov 15, 4:30 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
I'm not sure, re common parts of an engine, that the alternator needs

to be different. I think they'd work either way, the rectifiers
wouldn't care about the phase of the AC at their input. You probably
meant to type fuel pump.

I think the cooling fins need to be reversed on some alternators, from what
I recall. The fuel pump would be the same if it is a cam actuated one,
wouldn't it?
--
Jim in NC

Alternators don't care which way they turn. I had a 283 in a
small boat, and there was no room for the usual side-mounting of the
alternator. I turned it around and mounted it in front of the engine,
making it spin the other way. I went to the junkyard and found an
alternator fan that had its fins mounted radially rather than at a
tangent, so it sucked air through the alternator equally well in
either direction.

A cam-driven fuel pump isn't going to care which direction the cam
is turning, either.

Dan