Old July 16th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.military
Dan[_12_]

Default Engine Out Operation

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
I'm curious. Can a Blackhawk, Chinook, or other large military
helicopter hover with one engine out? What is the procedure for one-
engine-out operations for large helicopters? I assume no one auto
rotates a 30,000 lbs helicopter???

The obvious internet searches didn't help.

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

H-3,H-53 and H-60 can auto rotate. Watching an H-53 recover from auto
rotation is truly impressive. As far as I know all helicopters can auto
rotate. Every helicopter crew I have been around trains to do so.

As for single engine hovering they can do it depending on air density
and load. Above a certain density altitude no helicopter can hover.

An empty H-53 or H-60 can take off on a single engine at sea level.
An H-3 can take off on a single engine, but given the choice I'd prefer
number one engine since the other tends to run a tad weak due to the FOD
shield.

I can't provide citations for any of this since I am only going by
experience.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired