Old April 2nd 04, 01:47 PM
The Enlightenment

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Pepperoni" wrote in message

"redc1c4" wrote in message

coupla things here for the RAM folxs:

1. it seems to me that coming to a more or less "complete stop"

is
suicidal in ACM. it sure as hell would make the AAA solution

easier.

The Russians came up with that maneuver. It seems that when they

do that
move, our targeting radar, not seeing movement, mistakes the radar

return
as
a ground feature. (mountain, etc)

Horsefeathers, they dont come to a complete stop, such a manoeveur
makes aircraft fall out of the air, they make a momentary change of

heading
at the cost of a large energy loss.

Some versions of the Su27/Su37 have thrust vectoring nozzles and can
thus balance on their tail till the fuel runs out.

The Joint German American X-31 which has thrust vectoring has a I
believe a 20:1 kill ratio in dogfights against F16s.

In otherwords in dogfights it is decisive. (In a world of Stealth one
would expect dogfights to occur by accident)

(back in test to acquire data on vectoring for STOL)

This seems extremely unlikley
to cause a break in radar lock.

It would not show up on MTI or give a doppler return. If done close
enough to ground it might prevent an acquisition due to ground
clutter.

It is in any case a close combat move
when any bandit would be looking to use heat seekers

Since the Russians do not use radar
(having cryogenic heat viewers, instead) they have a distinct

advantage.

More horse****, the Russians assuredly DO use radar, theit BVRAAM's
are radar guided.

They can obviously maintain radar silence till they need to illuminate
the target. The AA11 alamo "amraamski" is only in limited service
but has an active homing radar.

They can see our targeting radar sweeps, but do not output a

signature,
because their infrared gear is passive.
I believe it is called the "Snakehead" maneuver.

Cobra

Keith