Old September 11th 03, 12:10 AM
Guy Alcala

" wrote:

Mike Marron wrote:

Al Minyard:
Of course, with the fuselage horizontal pitch at 0, AoI equals
AoA :-)

Exactly right.

-Mike Marron

Ok, I see now why you said "see the F-8 Crusader".
John emailed me this URL which partially explains it's wing
shenanigans.
http://pacificcoastairmuseum.org/200...Crusader/j.asp

Quote from URL:
"No, the wing isn't about to fall off. It was designed to do
this so that the fast moving Crusader could slow down enough to
land on the carriers. This also kept the nose of the airplane
down during landing so the pilot could see."
Unquote

I still don't see the purpose here unless it's _only_ advantage
is the second sentence in the quote there. Why would an increase
in AOA 'help the a/c slow down for a carrier landing'?...of
course it would 'slow down' BUT it'd now be way high on the
glidepath TOO. Just as it would be if you hauled back on the
stick...the _only_ advantage that I can see for this capability
of the F-8 is to lower the nose for better visibility from the
cockpit. Mind you, that must have been a large advantage imo.
'cause it seems to me that that'd be a big engineering project.

Please guys, tell me where I'm wrong here...

The other advantage of keeping the fuselage more level is that it provides
more ground clearance at the tail, so you can increase the AoA (and fly
slower) while still maintaining pilot view and sufficient tail clearance.

Guy