Old July 20th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Orphaned Engine

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:05:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The thing starts on the first flip because it has an efficient
ignition system, one that automatically adjusts itself to the load and
a 20A. electrical system. But no starter, please. As it is, it
weighs about twenty pounds less than any engine offered by anyone
else.

the local vw powered Druine D3 turbulent has a starter.
there is a light weight ring gear added to the front of the engine. it
is a lightweight one welded to a disc that bolts in behind the prop.
the ring gear is from a japanese car, I forget which one.
the starter mounts in a simple bracket that bolts in place of the car
engine fuel pump. the starter turns over the 1600cc engine quite
easily.
the starter motor is a replacement for a large bmw motorcycle.
the overall weight of the setup isnt much.
it has been quite reliable so far.
Stealth Pilot

But of course, it's not a dune-buggy engine. And the Instant Experts
will stand in line to damn it with faint praise for that fact alone
even while it flys circles around them and is still going strong when
they're doing their second valve job of the year.

In my opinion, this is the perfect engine for an aerodynamically clean
single-seater, like Bruce Kings little beauty. Had fate dealt me a
different hand, that's what it would be going into. It would also be
a good match for a KR-1, the early Jodel, Druine, the Teenie Two and
similar designs.

Kill the parent, you got orphans. And that applies to engines, too.

-R.S.Hoover