Old May 4th 18, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Why no

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 4:30:07 AM UTC-7, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
At 06:24 04 May 2018, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 6:19:45 AM UTC+1, Mike Schumann wrote:
However, I think relying on cell phone coverage for any kind of
collision avoidance is a highly questionable approach.

This is correct.

Cell towers use antennas with supressed vertical patterns. This gives

more
"gain" to ground based phones, and improves range.

I dont see this ever changing, and it is a fundamental limitation for
airborne use.

And event if this was not so, Airborne use would put you in range of far
too many masts and the cell companies won't like this (consumes resources),
so could switch you off!

Latency is another issue with mobile phones.
Jim