Old March 27th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Rolling a Non Aerobat 150

On 2007-03-23 08:33:20 -0700, "karl gruber"
said:

I have an acquaintance that kicked his way out the windshield of a
Citabria,
after the wings folded up against the fuselage.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Amazing what you can do with the proper motivation.

I think the important statistic would be to look at the fatal accidents
where the pilot was wearing a parachute, and see how many are unstrapped
and trying to get out when they hit the ground.
In the searches I have done, I don't remember ever seeing this (although
I was focusing on Pitts accidents.

I know of one, at least. Wing folded over the canopy. We think he
tried to roll it to get the wing untangled, but who knows? First
friend I lost to aerobatics. I also met a guy who only managed to get
out of his Decathlon at the last possible second when his elevators
got stuck full down.. He had got tangled in the structure for a
loooong time before he was sudenly ejectedat a few hundred feet just
before the thing hit the ground. The chute opend and he only broke his
legs. Was out competing in just a few months though!