Old November 2nd 03, 06:05 PM
Gary Watson

The dual AHRS/GPs updated types of systems work well in the slow movinn'
easy turning world of commercial air transport. I know the LTN 72, Carousel
IV spinning iron systems from aircraft such as the G-II and L1011 etc and
the RLGs are much much more reliable but this is not in the military
environment.

I was intersted to hear that the alignments would go "south" during the
catapult stage. Did air alignments work out ok as I realize you were getting
lat/long info from another aircraft but can't imagine having the time to
carry out the process.

BTW my interest is because I teach Nav systems to tech school students and
we were discussing INS and the need for a stable airframe for alignment. I
can now go back Monday and answer the question about aligning whilst the
aircrafme is moving. Thanks guys

Gary Watson

"user" wrote in message
Yeah good point for high performance aircraft, thanks for the
input....How about for Commercial Air, and military slowmovers?

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:10:42 GMT, "Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal"
wrote:

On 11/2/03 12:56 AM, in article

,
"user" wrote:

My 2 cents,,,basically the same as Larry's,,,on the Big 'E' IO in '84
and the Connie IO in '85 we had SINS cable inputs sometimes available
for our US-3's, (Miss Piggy), . Otherwise we would Link with our
ASW-25 (UHF) to get CAINS updated Lat/Longs for the LTN-72's.... our
CODS only had gyros and AHRS (Attitude Heading Reference System),
although we could hook up a RO-RO LTN-72, and an internal 500 gallon
fuel tank for long haul repo flights. (Had a very uneasy feeling
sitting in the cargo compartment with a frickin leaking JP-5 fuel
cell, on numerous flights from PI to Singapore to Diego Garcia, etc.)
I still believe the most cost effective system is a dual AHRS combined
with GPS for the best representation of SA and Navigating. This type
of setup would cost less than a quarter of the over redundant and way
too expensive Ring Laser Gyro INS (over 150,000 per unit) and GPS
sysytems that are predominant in the newer Hornets, Orions and
Prowlers.

Foodog,

Dual AHRS/GPS wouldn't meet some of the specs required--especially in the
z-axis velocities.

--Woody