Old December 2nd 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default An Icy Commute

Well this evening I had an interesting commute home. I flew into
freezing rain.
THe forecast called for a perfect day of flying. Light wind lots of
sunshine. It did not call for any precip today.
I was flying my usual evening controller busy route home. This would be
W32, FRZ exit waypoint, Stafford 3000 MSL ( to go around the Quanitco
restricted areas) then home to CJR. When I turned the corner at Stafford
I noticed something out of the corner of my eye when the strobes
flashed. I turned on the landing light and sure enough it was rain. A
quick check of the thermometer caused concern. It was reading 0 Celsius.
I pulled out the flashlight and had a look at the wings struts. Nothing
yet. I checked a few minutes later. ICE!. I immediately descending to
2000 MSL. The temp went up 1 degree Celsius. That was enough, the ice
stopped.
Once I landed and pulled up to the hangar I check the airframe. It still
had a little ice on it.

Now that was an interesting commute.
Michelle