Old November 11th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Aircraft Spruce Rant

Just finished two orders to Aircraft Spruce and the first was almost
delivered while I was still on the phone. Literally the order was placed
one day and I received it the next before noon. Normally only McMaster-Carr
provides that kind of speedy service. I have shopped several times trying
to beat Spruce prices and found their prices to be as good or better than
others.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"David Melby Cavalier" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doug Palmer wrote:
I have now been working on my project almost ten years and generally
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has been the benefactor. Their website

now
states that orders placed before 3:00 PM will ship the same day. This

is
bull****. I ordered two gallons of UV smooth prime on Saturday and for

some
reason they have not managed to put two gallons of paint into a box and

get
it out and it is tuesday. I called them to ask when it would ship, and

get attitude and an exasperated it should go out today sir.

Dealing with the spruce crowd has been a roller coaster ride. At times

they
shine, then they will simply act like a third rate mail order house.

Most
companies after you have spent 40-60K with them would give you some sort

of
customer service and recognition as a return customer, not these guys,

hell,
they seem to go out of the way to tick you off.

I'll be done soon, and not dealing with Spruce will be nice. I already

went
with Gulf Coast Avionics for my radios as they had good phone support

and
good prices - I highly reccommend. I bought my Wheels and several other
larger cost items through Wicks, again better prices. And I must say, I
enjoy calling the folks at Wicks for stuff. Their people are friendly

and
there is a family feel on the phone. Unfortunately being a northern
California builder I often go with Spruce because once they fill the

order
it only takes two days to get here UPS ground.

I guess the point of ths rant is to encourage builders to go with some

of
the other good guys. The folks that have treated me right include

Wicks,
B&C Specialty, Gulf Coast Avionics, RST, SKyGeek, Vans, Airparts Inc,
Mezimer (MAC), Grove Aircraft, Aero Parts and Supply, Sacramento Sky

Ranch.
I'm sure there are others but I just cannot think of them now.

BTW the project is halfway through being painted, some photos can be

seen at
http://www.whitealbatross.com/Webplane/index.htm

Thanks for listening!

Doug

I find this hard to believe. I have been buying from Spruce for years
and years and have found thier service to be the best. Never a
problem. When I have called them about something, they have been very
helpful. Not the case with Wicks.