Old March 8th 04, 05:31 AM
Peter Stickney

In article gIz2c.727374$X%5.482592@pd7tw2no,
"Ed Majden" writes:

"Dudley Henriques"
I'm sorry Ed. I'm not really much of a history buff. Douglas related some
things to me through the years about life in 242, but most was personal
rather than historical information. I think Pete Stickney or one of the
history guys might have some leads for you about Canadian connected RAF
operations after D Day . FWIW, Douglas went into some detail about his
Canadians in his book. That would at least give you a starting point.
Dudley

I found a bunch of stuff doing a search on the web for RCAF Squadrons
and No.6 Bomber Group etc. Should have done a search first, I guess.
Thanks for your response.

I'll have to dig out Wing Commander Johnny Johnson's "Wing Leader"
again, but, just going from memory, the Squadrons in his Spitfire Wing
post D-Day were Canadians. I'll see if I can dig up some better
details later. He found them to be very friendly, aggressive, and
capable.

(O.K. it's a bit later. Here's the 2 Tactical Air Force's compliment
of Canadian units, with their Aircraft types and initial bases.
144 Wing was teh first Allied fighter unit to deploy to France, after
the invasion.
They were all heavily involved in Air Superiority and Fighter-Bomber
type missions - they had a big role at Falaise.

For teh Squadrons, the info is Designation, Equipment and Base as og 6
June 1944.
83 Group
No. 17 (Canadian) Sector (G/C Bill MacBrien)
126 (Canadian) Wing (W/C George Keefer)
401 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere,
411 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
412 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
127 (Canadian) Wing (W/C Lloyd Chadburn)
403 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
416 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
421 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Tangmere
144 (Canadian) Wing (W/C Johnny Johnson)
441 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford
442 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford
443 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire IX Ford

43 (RCAF) Wing (W/C M T Judd)
438 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn
439 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn
440 (Canadian) Squadron Typhoon Ib Hurn

39 Recce Wing (W/C Bunt Waddell)
168 Squadron, Spitfire XIV (Odiham, B.8 1Jul)
400 (Canadian) Squadron, Mosquito XVII Odiham
414 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire XIV Odiham
430 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire XIV Odiham

83 Group Reserve
402 (Canadian) Squadron Spitfire V Digby

85 Group
148 Wing
409 (Canadian) Squadron (S/L Wendy Reid) Mosquito XIII

Reserves from ADGB
406 (Canadian) Squadron, Beaufighter Winkleigh, Colerne
418 (Canadian) Squadron MosquitoXIII Hurn

A good start for better details would be:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/angels_eight/

Hope This Helps.

--
Pete Stickney